What is Week 0? How do you get started before you get started?
In previous iterations of #DigPINS, participants have asked for a little more time to get started. Week 0 is just a fun name to give the time before the learning community activities actually start where we will give some orientation information.
There are no group activities or forma readings during Week 0, but we do have one thing we’d really like you to do and two which we believe will be helpful.
- PLEASE – fill out this Doodle poll to help us schedule a synchronous video call where participants from across the schools can meet each other. It would be a great help in getting folks to that call next week if you can fill it out this week.
- Be on the lookout for invites to this site, where you’ll be blogging, and the Slack backchannel site, where we can have private conversations. If you’re not already on Twitter, think about a username for that site.
- Spend a little time thinking about what you’d like to get out of this experience. Write down your thoughts; you might even want to share them in Slack or as part of your first blog post (in week 1, or in week 0 if you’re feeling ready). The Kenyon cohort is going to be small enough that it should be really easy to adapt our activities to fit your goals – but only if you share them! And in the same way, your goals may change if you find something really sparks your interest, and that’s great, but we’d like to to be conscious and not just drifting along.
Working In Partnership
This site (kenyon.digpins.org) is the public hub for those participating in the Kenyon College DigPINS cohort. We’ll have 3 cohort-partners this summer; our colleagues at St. Norbert’s College, the University of Michigan – Dearborn, and the University of Southern Maine have public hubs of their own. You can also see all the activity at our central hub, discuss.digpins.org.
The facilitators at each school are working to keep our content and activities for each week reasonably consistent, but there may be some differences between sites. Only the members of the Kenyon cohort will write blog posts here, but we encourage you to read, comment on, and link to the other hubs. Members of other cohorts may be inspired to do the same for your posts here!
The facilitators for each school are:
- Autumm Caines: University of Michigan – Dearborn
- Damien Michaud: University of Southern Maine
- Joe Murphy: Kenyon College
- Taylor Jadin: St. Norbert’s College
Week 0 Focus Areas
Besides this high level overview information these following pages focus in on helpful information about #DigPINS
Participation – #DigPINS is an online connected learning experience. If you have never been part of a participatory networked learning community before you will find this info helpful.
Digital Tools – #DigPINS uses a variety of digital tools and this page has details about many of them.
Schedule – What about timing? #DigPINS will be run throughout the month of June and July but this is a more detailed schedule.
The photo “Platform Zero, Stockport station” by Stephen Craven is licensed CC-BY-SA at https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/808095. Colors saturated by Joe Murphy.